Roulette is a classic casino game players have enjoyed for hundreds of years. The outcome of the game is entirely down to chance. Where the ball lands on the roulette wheel is nothing but luck
With that being said, there are some online roulette tips you can implement. These can help maximize your chances of success in taking real home money. Here, we share our tried and tested tips to help you win at roulette. Next time you play, use these roulette tips and see if you can up your profits
For those of you in a rush, our ten best roulette tips are:
Top 10 Online Roulette Tips to Win
- Start by playing online roulette for free
- Play European roulette rather than American roulette
- Study the roulette table to help learn the rules
- Learn the odds for different roulette bets
- Place outside bets instead of inside wagers
- Experiment with combination bets for bigger winnings
- Ignore any “What's Due” prompts from online casinos
- Understand the different roulette betting systems
- Only play roulette at a reputable casino
- Set a budget and manage your money
If you have time, we recommend you keep reading. We detail these roulette tips and explain why they're important when playing roulette online.
1. Start by Playing Online Roulette for Free
Free roulette games are identical to real money roulette games, apart from the fact you aren't spending money. They provide an ideal place to practise. You can make sure you fully understand all crucial aspects, including the following:
- Rules of the game
- Different betting types
- Odds and payout rates
You can also practise different betting systems on free roulette games. We talk more about these betting strategies for tip #8. But they're essentially methods for deciding the size of your next wagers. Each has its rules, and free roulette is the perfect place to practice them.
2. Play on the European Roulette Wheel
There is nothing wrong with American roulette at all. Many US players prefer this game to any other roulette variants. Yet if you want to improve your odds of winning, European Roulette is the way to go. This is for two reasons:
- The roulette odds for European Roulette are slightly higher. This is because the roulette wheel only has one zero instead of the double zero American Roulette wheel. Statistically, you have a better chance of guessing right in the European game.
- European Roulette has a lower house edge than the American variant. This house advantage is only 2.63% so you will return less money to the casino's pocket.
If you don't want to stick to European online roulette, the least you can do is learn the differences between the two games. This will be handy when you play roulette and make your gameplay smarter.
3. Study the Roulette Table
When playing roulette in a land-based casino, you place bets by putting chips on a real roulette table. Online roulette machines work in the exact same way. You must click on the table area corresponding to the wager you want to make.
As such, understanding the layout of the roulette table is essential. You don't want to accidentally lose money by placing bets you didn't mean to!
4. Know Your Roulette Betting Odds
Roulette odds can be confusing for new players. There are many different bets available, each with its own odds. To make things more confusing, roulette odds change for the same bet depending on the variant of the game you're playing. When playing American Roulette, your odds are decreased because of the double zero wheels. In European and French Roulette, the single zero pockets improve your odds slightly.
The odds of a bet are closely related to the payout percentage. Payouts range from 1:1 all the way up to 35:1, depending on the wager you make. You need to know the odds before putting money on the table. If you need help, check out our guide on roulette odds, which walks you through everything.
5. Place outside bets over inside bets
One of the best roulette tips is always to place outside bets. Outside bets refer to any bets “outside” the 36 numbers on the roulette wheel. Examples include:
- Red or black
- Odd or even
- High or low
- Column bets
- Dozen bets
It is better to place outside bets when playing roulette, as the odds are better. Even money bets are the safest of all outside bets as they have a 50/50 chance of happening. Yet column and dozen bets are still a good option too. These wagers have lower payout rates but will result in more long-term wins over time. Consistently risking money on high-risk inside bets for a better payout is where many new players go wrong. Stick to outside bets in roulette, and you can't go far wrong.
6. Learn Combination Bets
Do you want to attempt a bigger payout and place inside bets? If so, we recommend placing combination bets. You can place combination bets in a roulette game by putting your chip on the line between numbers on the roulette table. As several numbers are included in the bet, the wager is safer. Examples of combination bets in roulette include:
- Split Bet: Betting on two numbers next to each other.
- Street Bet: Betting on three numbers in a row.
- Double Street Bet: Betting on two rows of 3 numbers next to each other.
- Corner Bet: Betting on four numbers that meet at a point.
- Basket Bet: A bet available in American roulette on 0, 00, 1, 2, and 3.
You must put more money on the table when making combination bets rather than single-number bets. Yet roulette players will win more in the long run by sticking with higher odds bets. The more numbers in the combination bet, the higher your chances of winning.
7. Ignore Any “What's Due” Prompts
Some sites give players “What's Due” prompts when playing casino roulette online. This is where you will get notified of what numbers have already come up in the game and what numbers are still to be called. Many players are tempted to bet on the numbers yet to be called. They'll also use this information to spot patterns and decide what to bet on next.
However, one of the most crucial online roulette tips is to ignore the “What's Due” information. The next spin on the roulette wheel is not connected to the last. Mathematically, you're just as likely to spin five 7s in a row as five different numbers.
8. Understand the different roulette strategies
Although no skill can be applied to roulette, you can apply roulette strategies. Many strategies claim to help you win roulette and reduce your losses. Each betting strategy has its own set of rules that guide you on your following decisions in the game.
The best-known has to be the Martingale system. This is based on the idea that you increase your stake for losing bets. When you finally win, you should recover your losses. You then revert your stake to the initial bet amount. Yet there are many roulette systems to choose from, which you can read more about here. Some are safer, whereas others are more aggressive. You need to select a betting system that works for you.
Below are some of the more popular roulette strategies available:
- Fibonacci System
- Reverse Martingale Strategy
- Labouchere System
- D'Alembert System
- James Bond Roulette Strategy
If you want to do well at roulette, we suggest you take some time to understand the different betting strategies. Use the free casino games to put them into practice, and choose one you like. Once you're comfortable using it, switch to real money games.
9. Choose a reputable online casino
When playing online casino games, you must only play at a reputable roulette site. Reputable online casino sites will have fair games with proper odds. The last thing you want to do is spend your entire bankroll on a casino with rigged roulette games that steal your money. Also, some scam sites can steal your personal information or refuse to pay your roulette winnings.
Below are some tips on checking the reputation of an online casino before you play:
- Check that the casino is licensed by the UK Gambling Commission (UKGC). For the site to operate in the UK, a license is required by law. The UKGC will regularly audit the site to check it is operating fairly.
- Read unbiased reviews from other casino players. These can give you inside intel on what the site is all about. If there are several unresolved complaints from players, it is probably advisable to play elsewhere.
10. Set a Budget & Manage Your Money
Never forget that beating the house edge for all casino games is impossible. In the long term, the casino will always come out on top. Even with all these roulette tips, winning streaks aren't guaranteed.
Therefore, setting a gambling budget is crucial. If you play responsibly, this should never be more than you can afford to lose. Once set, you then need to manage this money carefully. Play on roulette tables with betting limits that match your bankroll. If the minimum bet is too high, move to a game with lower table limits.
You should also never chase a losing streak to recover your losses. Remember, the house edge means players are designed to win! The same goes in reverse. If you have hit a winning streak, perhaps walk away from the table while still in the green. In other words, know when to stop playing, and roulette can be an enjoyable (and profitable) casino game.
Roulette is a classic casino game players have enjoyed for hundreds of years. The game's outcome is entirely down to chance; where the ball lands on the roulette wheel is nothing but luck.
That being said, there are some online roulette tips you can implement to help maximize your chances of success and take home real money. Here, we share our tried and tested tips to help you win at roulette. The next time you play, use these roulette tips and see if you can increase your profits.
Know when to stop playing; roulette can be an enjoyable and potentially profitable casino game.